Ramblings of a Fan Attic

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Hyde Park Speakers

R.E.M. was good. Too good in fact. One of those weird feelings where years ago they were a band that, for some reason, you never thought you'd see. Kind of like the Smashing Pumpkins - although I hope the rumours of them reforming are true (not rumours per sé, I think its more like Billy-begging). But you see what I mean - that they are just THAT good. Anyways, there was a kind of denial of past events in London owed to the very surreal relaxed atmosphere in Hyde Park last night, I think mainly due to the "let's just get on with it" attitude London has taken (though it feels, at times, more like an East End yobbish "come on then, is that all you've fucking got" attitude) in combination with the "feel" that an R.E.M. concert has. There were some concerned looks on faces about the huge plume of smoke rising from behind Hyde Park, but I think people slowly realised it really could be anything, so decided to just turn their heads back to the obviously more interesting end of the park. There was no mention of the London bombings by the band, though probably due in part to quiet respect by the band - though its likely a couple of setlist choices, namely "Walk Unafraid" and "It's the End of the World", were due to the tragic events of July 7th. On to the setlist:

Bad Day
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
One I Love
Drive
Outsiders
Sitting Still
Wanderlust
Animal
Leaving New York
Everybody Hurts
Electron Blue
Me in Honey
Electrolite
So Fast So Numb
E-Bow the Letter
Final Straw
Orange Crush
Walk Unafraid
Losing My Religion
-- ENCORE --
Imitation of Life
Great Beyond
Nightswimming
It's the End of the World
D.J
Man On the Moon

To be honest I don't think I could have asked for a better setlist. The encore was beyond all expectations, and some real gems amongst a strong main set made the whole evening a true delight. Props also go out to the fantastic supporting acts, its always a pleasure to see Feeder, and Idlewild sounded impressive (I say sounded because we didn't exactly arrive "on time" for the opening acts - completely missed Jonathan Rice but what are you going to do?). My thanks to Steve for taking me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home